art journaling. In an attempt to raise my sagging spirits and get my jolly rolling, I've decided to let you teach me.
I journal faithfully each week, sometimes daily. I have since I was about 10 years old. Some of the ledgers got destroyed in a failed marriage and some are tucked away so well that I don't recall where they are. But I have them somewhere. I'm a faithful chronicler. But I'm not terribly creative.
On "Ellen" the other day Diane Keaton was telling about her new book which is based on her mother's journals. It showed her mother's journals and they were so funky and creative with pictures and writing going everywhere on brown paper pages. I want to do that--I think!
What I fear is that it'll take forever and be costly. Is it? I know some of you do scrapping and mixed media art which is kind of like this journaling. Let me know how practical it would be for a lazy journalist. I don't want to add stress to my silly life. Though I'm dull as dirt I kind of like it that way. I don't want to exert myself too much, you know.
Because Rick had me stressed out yesterday trying to find out how to renew his CDL. You can't just go to any MVD. You have to go to special CDL ones that are only open until 3 p.m. Yikes!! We have to pay fines for not renewing on time. It's a mess. Please get this crap over with!!
I've been craving peppermint--specifically ice cream. We all know that is the last thing I need! Talk me down from this ledge, people. I'm just ridiculous!
Barley peed all over in the garage last night. Rick put her in too early. It wasn't her fault. Just another mess I need to clean up. Lola peed in the house Tuesday because the vet gave her a steroid shot to help with her allergies. It was raining outside and Lola doesn't like to go out in the rain. The shot made her need to urinate more frequently and...oh, heck...you get the idea.
I'm sure you didn't want to hear about dog pee this morning, but, hey, it's on my mind. It's better than my depressive rants, isn't it? So just concentrate on the journaling aspect and ignore the other. Maybe I should delete the pee part...Nah! It's part of my mental meanderings. And aren't blogs a lot like journals?
Thursday, December 15, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(242)
-
▼
December
(22)
- Let's Put an End To It!!
- Stinky
- Happy Good Riddance Day
- OK, OK, It's Tuesday...
- Not a Scrap or Tittle...
- That One's in the Can
- Here Comes Christmas!
- OK, OK, I Cooked!
- Dental Splendor
- Coyote in the City
- But No Pictures...
- WARNING: Graham Gone Bad!
- What The Heck?
- Help Me Understand--
- I've Lost My Funny!
- Fifteen Minutes of Angelic
- Oh, Lola!
- Lethargic List
- A Wrapper Fiasco and a Couple of Angel Shots
- Amazon Fail
- Snafus
- Gearing UP!
-
▼
December
(22)


9 comments:
Nope, leave the pee in this post. Having just cleaned some up in the last oh, 30 seconds, it does hit home with me. And I have some on my porch too! Joy.
Don't really know about the journaling. Times they are a changing. Now it's all online. Have you been to Pinterest? Full of ideas, saying, beautiful things, etc. Good place to "pin" all your ideas, but it doesn't go by day. Although I steal a few and put them on FB, which makes it kind of a daily thing. Check out Pinterest and see if it helps. That's all I can add. Off to disinfect my floor now...
Hey Jo....I'm here in the hotel catching up before my husband arrives at the airport at 4.
When I was at my friends, we saw the interview with Diane Keaton...who is just a huge KICK! When she talked about her mother's journals, I was swooning! How wonderful they look! Right up my creative alley. YOU can do this...and it's not scary OR expensive. A good pen, a glue stick, some papers and such....it's fun and easy. Email me and I can walk you through it and I'm sure you'll really like the process.
I really want to read Diane's book (and Ellen's), too!
I had a GREAT trip but it's nice to see the mountains again. And the sun!
Hugs
jan
I think creative journaling is a great idea...but I have no tips on how to do it. I guess just make something that reflects how you feel? And I'm guessing there's a lot of just making a big mess before that really happens.
I saw the Diane segment on Ellen and now totally want to read Diane's book. I recently read Ellen's newest one and loved it. Back to Barnes & Noble!
OK, so the question of journaling..specifically art journaling..from a compulsive crap..uh..I mean..craft-aholic:
I have tried it all..scrapbooking, painting, crochet, knitting, sewing..oils, watecolor, paper tearing (really!)
and journaling. All of them for as long as it takes me to purchase all of the supplies, containers, cleaning supplies, etc. Then I'm so done..and the guilt sets in.
But I really WANT to be creative! I really want to paint and sew and crochet, and knit and tear..
When do I clean..or do laundry..or sit and be with Mr B..there isn't enough time in the day with working full time and being ...old.
Then I say "no more"..but I can't NOT be trying..like yesterday..I pulled out a little envelope scrapbook I made 4 years ago when Ella came for Christmas. It's darling, she was darling, we had a great time and I journaled about it..it's a treasure..really. I know we all have our photos on the computer, but to sit with this wee envelope scrapbook that I made..well, you get the point..where was I? Oh yeah..just try it. If you don;t like ot..no biggie..but at least you weren't sitting on the couch wishing you'd done somehting. And what a gift for the grandkiddos..so yeah. Try. Do. Make. Put it away for a while..and never give up ..
The important part of journaling is to be true to yourself. So if you want to go through a creative phase, kick yourself into high gear and do it. Personally, I just scibble or write in cursive. BORING, I know. 'Tis me. I'm taking the burden right off you. I'll go have the peppermint ice cream. I promise there won't be any left, too. LOL Take care.
My blog IS my journal. It's the only way I actually can keep one. And I hear there is some special doo-daddy thing you can do to print them (complete with pics) - so you could do them by year.
One day when I am rich, I'll do that. For now, my journal is out there for the whole wide world to see.
I don't journal, unless you count my blog or I am feeling particularly introspective. I probably should. Good luck and whatever you do with it, don't get discouraged. I am sure your grandkids won't care about how it looks, just that you wrote it.
Poor pooches, poor Jo cleaning it up :(
Mixed media just doesn't speak to my soul like quilting, in fact I am toying with the idea of making a version of my life?
I have tried writing in a journal before, but I am afraid that if anyone were to read them I would either be arrested or institutionalized!
Some stories are best left untold.
I'm sure you would do a great job with an art journal. Sounds like a lot of work to me but they are soo sooo beautiful. Brian goes to the DMV in Avondale/Goodyear. Tell Rick to ask for Jan. Miss you!
Post a Comment