Sunday, December 4, 2011

Snafus

Finally home with just a few snafus and no major disasters. There was a wreck at mile post 139 today on highway 93. It closed the road for several hours. We were told it would be closed until 5 this evening. There were two alternate routes--back to the 40 and up through Flagstaff where there had been snow last night or back to Kingman and over to Lake Havasu and around on the 95 and 10. We chose the latter.

So instead of getting home in five hours it took about 8 hours. When we got home the road report said the right lane was open, but we don't know what time it opened. I must say, I wasn't terribly impressed by the lake town, but maybe it was because of the circumstances. I saw no humor in the detour.

SIL provided the other snafu. It involved one of the lion hounds being lost in the mountains for two days and SIL spending 2 days up there looking for the dumb dog. I just have no patience with either of these entities. Dog was brought back late last evening. SIL returned also. 'nuff said...

It did kind of cramp our plans for the weekend. Daughter was distracted by dozens of calls and needs of SIL. Concert went well. Daughter has her house decorated to the max for the holidays. Really cute things that she crafted and made. It's all just gorgeous. Her house is big and the decorations match. They are having the Griswold Christmas Party part 2 again this year. They have a 15 foot tree in her living room--Griswold style with the top two feet bent over. She's invited 150 people to the party. I awake in cold sweats just thinking about the preparations.

We spent most of Friday cleaning up the mess from them putting up the tree. Then this morning when we left there was a bigger mess from her crafting into the night. I just can't keep up any more. I think she gets a bit disillusioned with me. Oh, well. I do the best I can. It was nice to see the boys

I was most thankful to get home today to my scantily decorated, clean, small, and quiet house. I think I might never leave again. The hordes are descending next Sunday, leaving the boys with me for Monday and I will be taking them up to the turn off by Congress. Daughter and SIL are picking up the other two lion dogs who have been in training. Oh, those dogs!

So we're home safely, the trip was OK, and I'm never leaving home again. That pretty well covers it!

13 comments:

larainydays said...

Glad you're home safe and sound, even if it took you a long time. There's no place like home, there's no place like home.

CB said...

Glad you made it home safely. A detour like that really sucks cow udders but what can you do!!

Wow! Your daughter...don't even know what to say but 150 people at her house for a party - Wowza!!! They will have a blast I am sure. Do you have pic's of her decor - love to see all the beauty. Her home sounds wonderful.

How awful to be distracted by all the dog business all weekend. Glad all is well there but distractions like that can ruin a visit for sure.

Enjoy your quiet home tomorrow!

Pat MacKenzie said...

Yes, I agree. It's nice to be home where the mess is our own, the schedule is ours to follow or ignore, and we can answer the phone when it rings - or not - depending on our mood.

TARYTERRE said...

Home is where the heart is. Visits are nice but being in your own space rules. Don't know how your daughter does it. 150 people is more than a little ambitious. Her tree and decorations sound awesome, though. Glad the detour got you back, safe and sound. Take care.

Holly said...

I have a headache just thinking about it! So glad you are home.

Anonymous said...

Ditto Holly's comment.

And I don't know 150 people to invite to my home, so THAT boggled my mind.

Glad you are home. Shhhhh, be vewwy vewwy quiet..........

RoeH said...

There's something about being home safe and sound. Glad you made it.

Amy said...

There's no place like home. Welcome back!

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

You are never a dull moment are you.
Really, you should come on back this direction. We are dull with a capital D.

Sounds like the decorations will be beautiful. You should take pictures. It also sounds like too much work. That would totally suck the fun right out of it for me.

I don't even have my decorations in the house yet. I'm sorta OK with it.

Have an awesomely quiet day!

Anonymous said...

Your trip sounds like a bit of a nightmare but gladly you made it safely. If I'd known you were coming through Havasu we could have shared a cup of tea. It definitely is small-town atmosphere here but after living in Boston and San Diego for 30 years (and being older now), I'm enjoying it. If you get out this way again, let me know.

life in red shoes said...

When it comes to an alternate route, always take the one with the best shopping and reseraunts ;)
As for the SIL and his stupid damn dog.....seriously? Aren't 3 little boys enough?
I too used to do Christmas is a huge way, but not anymore. I only put the trees up yesterday, and even then only used half of the decorations. Any more it just seems like clutter and clutter makes me bitchy....I need no help in that department.

P.S. I can never spell resteraunt that right way.

Liz said...

150 people. Oh my gosh. Bring me a paper bag!

Glad you're home safe! Sorry for the detour and the crazy dog stuff. Now it's back to real life!

Mom of 12 said...

Don't you know that trips are only fun after you have been home for about 2 weeks?
Sandy

Blog Archive