I was going to make some bar cookies for the ladies I visit teach. (You know I struggle with this; i.e. the last minute visit and cookies.) I should have made them yesterday, but I hesitated. When I got the ingredients together today--on Sunday-- I opened a "new" box of graham crackers to make a crust. There was a slight odor of petroleum or some awful chemical. I sniffed the package as I opened it! Yep, it smelled funny. So I broke off a section of the tainted cracker and ate the whole quarter. Wasn't smart enough to just take a small taste.
Oh, my goodness!!! In my distress, I swallowed instead of spit. I now know what diesel fuel doused crackers taste like. I looked at the expiration date--April 2011. Now in my world that's not too alarming--just 8 months off. We're talking graham crackers here, folks, not milk or tuna or something that can turn. But I'm here to testify that graham goes bad. The fumes from the one toxic morsel are still wafting up the back of my throat.
Since it's Sunday and--you know--the Sabbath, I could not go to the store and buy new ingredients. And I have to have these ready for early tomorrow morning. So I substituted crushed Cheez Its and Bisquick mixed together for the crust. Then I added a few little marshmallows to the topping mixture for "texture." I just checked the progress. It's looking OK. No explosions or anything.
The real test will come in the tasting, but I'm far too ill. Rick is going to have to determine if the concoction is suitable for gifting. (I wouldn't want to poison the sweet sisters.) I think the salty cheese flavor will mix nicely with the marshmallows, coconut, chocolate chips and nuts. I might have created a new recipe. Maybe I'll become the new Pioneer Woman who cooks!
11 comments:
Laughing! Although now you have me freaked because it's getting near the end of the month. And serio, in this situation, I'd have called it an "ox in the mire"
You are my "substitution" hero, a true cooking pioneer. Diesel graham crackers, who knew?
LOLOLOLOLOLOL
I suppose expiration dates are there for a reason. LOL The NEW recipe sounds innovative and tasty. The proof will be in the sampling, though. When you are discovered I can say I knew you way back when.
Who knew graham went bad? And I totally get how they must have tasted from your description. Ick!
Good luck with the innovation!
I should have called before heading to Costco to see if you needed anything ;)
I was still in my church apparel, THE NERVE!
What the what!!???
I just have no words.
Except sounds like a great law suit.
I so want to know how that came out!
Oh my goodness. I have had the unpleasant experience of past the use by date of graham crackers but not to that extent. Sounds like a creative work around. Interested in hearing what Rick thought.
Ever since my 'darling daughter pulled some expired jam out of my fridge (it had made the move with us cross country..twice!) I am a stickler for watching the sxpiration dates..but I don't think the grahamn crackers would have caught my eye..so sorry for your tummy issues..ick!
Post a Comment