Thursday, April 22, 2010

We're Having Missionaries for Dinner

My mother used to laugh when I'd say we were having the missionaries for dinner. It took me several times saying it before I realized what she meant. (I'm slow, people...) Like cannibals eating missionaries. Oh! I get it.  That old lady is pretty sharp some times...Wish I could say the same for me.

Our church has lay missionaries, young men and women who go out without pay to spread the word about the gospel of Jesus Christ. Whether you like 'em or are bothered by their door-to-door approach, you have to give them credit for their dedication and devotion. They devote roughly 2 years of their lives to do what they believe in. They put their life on hold (theoretically), live fairly spartan lives, and have little money. So, members of our congregations or wards, volunteer to "feed the missionaries." Hence, my statement about having the missionaries for dinner.

All last night in my dreams I worried about what to feed the missionaries. I know it's silly. They probably are grateful for anything. However, I am NEVER comfortable "entertaining" anyone. I just don't have people come to our house to eat because I get so worked up about the details. Not smart. I know. But....

So I think I'll fix my daughter's recipe for chicken enchiladas. I have no idea what to fix with them. My husband doesn't like salad or beans. Those would be logical choices. I'll look through my recipes and see what I can find, but if you have any ideas let me know. Otherwise we might have to have "missionaries" for dinner, literally. Do you think salsa goes with that?

5 comments:

Amy said...

I am sure they will appreciate whatever you offer them. We have either spanish rice or chicken flavored rice- as in Rice A Roni with our chicken enchilada's. And you could still go ahead with a salad since you are feeding more people than just you and your hubby.

Emily of Boston said...

Mmm... enchiladas sound great. You can do so many kinds of enchiladas without beans - chicken, super-duper extra cheese (yum!), beef. UGH. I'm hungry!

I agree with Amy - go ahead and fix a salad. If your hubby doesn't want salad, he just doesn't have to eat it. :)

life in red shoes said...

Meatloaf and mashed potatoes, can't go wrong there.

The Cook Clan said...

Have some chips and bean dip. Even if Rick doesn't like salad the missionaries might.....Just a thought. Good luck! Let us know what you decided and if they liked it. :)

Scrappy Girl said...

Salsa goes with everything! Well...that's not true...spaghetti with salsa would be really gross. lol Thanks for popping over to my blog! I am going to add you to my blogroll...I guess that's my way of saying...
I'll be back!

Blog Archive