Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Winter Garden

I haven't read a good book in a while...don't know why. Heaven knows I've tried, but nothing has clicked. When the library emailed me and said my reserved copy of Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah was waiting for me I was puzzled. I have no recollection of why I reserved it or where I heard about it. But, as a good library user, I skeddadled in there and checked it out.

If you ever read Sophie's Choice, (I don't recall the author) this book has faint undertones of that story. It's a little cold and a lot Russian war grimness, but it's written well. I finished it in two days. The ending is not gut-wrenching. (That's a plus to me since I'm so easily depressed.) Two sisters and their Russian-born mother work through their icy relationships coming to a fairly believable compromise after the death of the patriarch. 

Hannah has another book called True Colors which I might check out. As a former English teacher, I know this is not a great book review. Get over it!! I can't pull my brain around proper grammar or meaty book analysis any more. My brain lost its elasticity about five years ago. I just don't give a rip any more if I speak "English teacher."

I was chewing gum the other night at an informal meeting for a missionary group at our church. I might have blown a bubble, but it was before the meeting started. Honest! Some one said, "I thought you used to be a teacher."

Oh, give me a break. I can chew gum and blow bubbles and give you the finger too, honey. I don't need your judgment or chiding comments. I don't even care if you were "kidding." That's what every body says when they know they've pissed you off and want to avoid getting smacked. I'm retired, folks. I don't teach any more. Forgive me for my sins.

Just take my word for it--the book is worth reading. And that's all I'm gonna say.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Jo you crack me up. I like your brand of sassiness. I enjoy Kristin Hannah books, I may need to check this one out. I haven't been reading as much as I used to. Nothing really catches my interest enough.

The Cook Clan said...

Lol, thats funny, cuz everytime I write something on here or my blog I know I don't always use proper grammer. I always think, jeeze, I probably drive her nuts! :) Who cares if you chew gum. Is it like you can't chew gum if you've ever been a teacher? The nerve of some people!

life in red shoes said...

Next time just smack 'em!
I have started and stopped three books, just not in the mood.

Blog Archive