Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Will Beg for Conversation...

Lola and I went for a walk this morning. I am almost NEVER bored. I have millions of projects to keep me busy. I was, however, seriously headed toward boredom today.. Every time I go in the bedroom to work on the grandson's quilt I get oddly sick to my stomach. So--we went for a walk, Lola and I.

The funny part (and I mean funny as odd, not funny as ha ha) was whenever I saw someone I wanted to stop and talk to them. I guess I am lonely a little.

 Our corner neighbor was out working in her yard I deduced. Her garage door was open, her back gate was open. I never see that and I could hear someone rustling about in the back. But I dared not walk back there. I don't know her that well (OK, I don't know her at all). I know her name and that's about it. But I kind of like her because she chases the neighborhood kids out of her yard and she reads books. That's enough to start up a conversation, isn't it?

But Lola and I walked on. Lola pooped out on the common area on the side of the road just as two cars drove by. Now every one knows that I didn't bring a bag to pick up after my dog. (Every one being those two cars that drove by who don't know me from Adam). I do regret leaving the dog doo but not enough to walk back now and get it, so I'm sorry, world. I'll do better later. I promise.

We passed a man pulling two little girls in a wagon. I'm hoping he was their father. Otherwise some man has kidnapped those two children and they've adjusted well and seem happy with it. I thought maybe he'd speak. He didn't.

A car drove by and turned the corner as we were crossing the street. She smiled at me, I think. She had tinted windows and it's hard for me to see. But I imagined that she nodded at me with a look of friendliness on her face and so I waved, hoping she was some person who knew me (odds against it, people) and that she liked me.

So on we trudged. We passed houses that had foreclosure signs out front. We meandered around cul de sacs with narey a soul around. Then we came upon a house with the main door open. Through the security door I could hear dishes rattling. Like some lady was cleaning up after the kids were down for a nap. I could hear the water running and the clatter of pots and pans. I wanted to knock, walk in, and have a Diet Coke (I don't drink coffee and it was almost 11 a.m. so I figured it was Diet Coke time.) I was sure I'd like her. The yard was neat and trimmed and she was cleaning. I love clean. I'm sure we'd be BFFs.

I didn't stop. I came on home. The neighbor's garage was closed. The gate was closed. I heard no rustling. She'd escaped inside. She'd escaped my attempt at neighborliness. She's probably glad.

Rick worked as a mechanic at the shop yesterday. Rick doesn't want to be a mechanic. He wants to deliver golf carts. He wants to leave the shop and drive out in the world. Though I can't figure out why. The world of Phoenix traffic scares the crap right out of me. But he likes to be out away from the bosses. He called the shop a dungeon. He ate his lunch alone in his truck. He wasn't happy. He took tools in today. He hasn't called. I fear that when he does it won't be a joyous conversation. If he was out delivering golf carts he'd have called me in between hauls. So I know that he is in the tombs--er, shop. I will not get a friendly conversation from him either. I still feel sick to my stomach. I've had to take Imitrex every few hours because my migraine continues for the third day. If someone would talk to me, I'm sure I would feel better. Alas, Lola is my only hope and she's asleep, exhuasted from our journey. She's not usually much of a talker any way. But she is a pretty good listener. OK, Lola, wake up!

4 comments:

The Cook Clan said...

Oh Jo Anne, you need to write a book! I love reading your blog. That is a real bummer you are still so sick! I sure hope it passes quickly. Hit me up on fb if ever you get bored again and need to chat! I too am very bored and need some socialization in my life. We haven't really left the house much in the last week. Poor kids, I think they are going crazy!

Amy said...

When my son is at his Dad's house I feel the same way. I talk to the dog but he doesn't answer. I try to visit my sister but she is always too busy. I work from home so there is no office chatter. Even when I am at the office there is no one to talk to. It can get awfully lonely. I hope your headache goes away and you start feeling better soon.

Mimi said...

HI JO!!!!
What a wonderful walk you had, I must say very interesting and what a great way to enjoy the walk!!!!!The dog doo, oh no, glad no one saw that happen!!!!It's ok, I see it around here sometimes and just look away!!!!
The neighbor out back, should have stopped and said HELLO!!!! SCARE her for leaving her garage door open!!!haha
so glad you had a great Easter!!!
It was so nice out huh!!!!
Huhs,
jamie

Liz said...

Okay, so we should really get together for lunch. We could meet somewhere between Mesa and Phoenix. I'd love to see you and I don't want you to be lonely. Whaddaya think? :-)

Blog Archive