Friday, April 23, 2010

You Know You're In Arizona If...

As you know we moved to Arizona from Idaho 9 months ago. I have had very mixed feelings about this move since then. I am trying to adjust, but...Arizona ain't Idaho. (For that I'm sure Arizonans are glad.) But for me, I long for something that is familiar. None of this is. So I'm making a list of ways to know that Todo (Lola in this case) and I are not in Kansas (Idaho) anymore. (It's not funny, but it's on my mind.)

You Know You're in Arizona If...
1. everyone bundles up in jackets when it hits 65 degrees. Brrr!
2. rock covers every inch of your yard instead of grass. It's called "Arizona sod" I'm told.
3. the main topic of news is bill 1070 concerning illegal immigration. Crazy wild protestors for both sides. Threats and turmoil over something that is already illegal, folks. Why argue? Why?
4. hand cuffs and underwear in Maricopa County jails are pink.
5. everyone calls the chief law enforcemnet officer of Maricopa County "Sheriff Joe" and not all in a complimentary tone.
6. every major professional sport is religion here. Arizonans LOVE 'em some sports!
7. javelina and quail roam through your yard if you live within 2 miles of a major city.
8. "photo enforcement" cameras scare the bejeebers out of you and you never know when you'll get a ticket in the mail for $187.
9. 65 seems to be the average age and there are bumper stickers that say "Open season on snowbirds..."
10. there are 360 days of sunshine and the average temperature is 360 degrees.
11. golf carts travel the streets freely and have separate parking spots at grocery stores, coffee shops, and malls.
12. vivid sunrises and sunsets are commonplace.
13. there is no Nalley's chili to be found.
14. dogs wear booties in the summer to protect their feet from burning.
15. 99 out of 100 houses are rough stucco painted some shade of brown and there are only 3 different house plans.
16. the official language is NOT English.
17. every growing thing has thorns.
18. I go days without speaking to anyone but my husband.
19. there is a fence across much of the southern border.
20. the state capital ranks second in the world for the number of kidnappings.
21. national forests are just miles and miles of cacti.
22. very few people are natives to AZ.
23. when I say, "I'm going home" I don't mean my new residence in Arizona.

10 comments:

Emily of Boston said...

"Arizona sod" sounds miserable... and I feel bad for the dogs. The ground/pavement gets so hot that it can burn their little feet? Ugh! That's awful! :(

Photo enforcement is LAZY. AZ cops need to get off their asses and patrol the streets for speeders... absolute laziness!

To answer your question regarding my own blog... it's a five day cruise, but I'll be in Ft. Lauderdale for a day and a half before the cruise. But really? I just like choices. Lots and lots of choices. And if they all fit in one suitcase, all the better. Yes to jeans, a hoodie, a couple cozy cardigans and SOCKS. I can't forget to pack socks!! If my feet get cold, it's all downhill from there.

Thanks for checking in on me! :)

rae said...

FASCINating post. I feel you! I also have some interesting theories about your move! :)

life in red shoes said...

You are so funny and I love it!
Sherrif Joe is my hero, they outta be damn glad they GET underwear! I couldn't stand the heat, the rocks, would love to get around in a golf cart. Would you like me send you some Nalleys? I am so sorry that you don't have people to talk to, that would be the last straw!
Southern Cali's are the same way, 65 is chilly.
And for hells sake why is there any argument at all about what language to speak...ENGLISH, effing ENGLISH!
And since when did being an illegal immigrant become legal. If it's illegal to speed, and by the way, you have some ticket happy police officers down there, then how on Gods green earth is it OK to live here illegally???!!!

I apologize, this is a very sore subject for me.

Carry on.

Anything Fits A Naked Man said...

You know, I lived in Florida for 16 years, and it's really quite amazing how many similarities there are between your list and mine!!

Hang in there!

The Cook Clan said...

Oh some of those are too funny. Pink hancuffs and underwear.....really? Some are funny, and some are scary.

Mimi said...

HI!!!
As a near Native, I was 4 months old when my parents traveled from Indiana and moved WEST!!!to the wild wild west, I would say!!!Back then it was pretty scarce, when we got married Bell Road had 1 stop light from 67th ave to I-17!!!!!
And that was in 1976, what did it look like in 1958?????
DESERT --now that is still here but not as much!!!Be grateful for the snowbirds moving in and changing things!!! a little anyways!!!
But I do understand, it is soooo different!!!!
I have NO cactus in my yard,as I hate it!!!!
I do have stucco painted cream with a red tile roof!!!!
I love Sheriff JOE!!!!!
I like golf carts and Yamaha Rhino's on the road(we have the cooler rhino--it is 4 wheel drive)
I LOVE LOVE LOVE our sunrise and sunsets!!!!
Ok, you get the picture!!!
hugs,
jamie

Omgirl said...

I love to visit Arizona. I don't think I'd like to live there. It's fabulous Feb -April. And then I get the heck out of there!

Katie said...

No Nalley's Chili....that's just crazy. Our pantry is always well stocked with that stuff. It's the best!

Queenie Jeannie said...

LOL!! These were hilarious!!

Katie said...

Some of the things on your list are very true to Arizona. I'm betting you live in the North Scottsdale area or West or East of Phoenix or maybe even Tucson. I am a native of Phoenix and I recommend you drive into Central Phoenix and tour the city because not every part of Arizona is how you describe. My Arizona sod yard is actual sod. I talk to my neighbors, and their homes look very different than mine and come in a variety of colors. I agree with you that many parts of the sprawling greater Phoenix area are cookie cutter style, but please come visit Central Phoenix (Central Ave. from Camelback Rd. to Northern, the Biltmore area, the Arcadia area, and the historic areas towards downtown Phoenix). Once you've seen all that Phoenix has to offer you might change your mind about some things, or at least see that 99 out of 100 homes are not the same.

Blog Archive