Sunday, April 11, 2010

Black Smoke

Rick was out swimming this afternoon after church and we saw a plume of black spoke across the street and down a ways. We thought it was a car on fire because the flames were so high and the smoke so black. The fire engines didn't come for 10 minutes or longer. We were glad a house wasn't on fire. It would have burned to the ground for sure in that length of time.

We finally got in the golf cart and wound our way over and discovered that a big group of playground equipment had burned to the ground. The rubbery stuff on the floor of the playground accounted for the billowing black. I heard it was vandalism but I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure it wasn't just spontaneous combustion. That's really too bad. Why do people do those kinds of things? Rick and I saw these two seedy looking characters in an old, low-rider car sitting around the corner from the fire. I think we've watched too many tv shows because we were sure they were the perpetrators.  Talk about profiling. They probably were really nice guys...(yeah, right!) Guilty as hell, people.

I'm listening to a program on Apollo 13 rescue. Where was I when all this happened? I don't ever remember that whole deal. What planet was I living on? I have no recollection...weird.

5 comments:

Jules AF said...

Playground equipment? Who sets fire to that? How sad.

Queenie Jeannie said...

I have lived on two Army posts and seen brand new, gorgeous playgrounds built, and quickly vandalized on both. People nowadays just do NOT appreciate anything!!! We can't have anything nice without someone coming along and putting their graffiti on it, or trashing it up. Sad, very sad.

The Cook Clan said...

Wow, thats sad! Hope no kids were near by! Could have been really scary.

life in red shoes said...

THEY'RE GUILTY!!!!

Amy said...

I've never understood what causes people to do such things. Hopefully they find whoever did it.

Blog Archive