Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Mail Call

I just read a post by Andrea Merriman on The Unexpected Life about "Miracle Mail," mail she received after a family tragedy involving her husband's arrest for fraud. Most, though not all, the mail was a generous outpouring of help from strangers. She received gift cards from stores, cash, and encouragement, often anonymous. Wow! People CAN be wonderful! And I'm so happy that she has experienced this blessing.

I had been thinking about a post concerning mail before I read hers. I was thinking how fun mail was when I was a teenager and the first few years of college. (I didn't really think then about the other mail my parents were receiving that were bills and collection notices. We were cash strapped when I was young. We had bill collectors plaguing us and often coming to our door since we had no phone. It was very upsetting for me  but ,as I think back now, it must have been agonizing for my parents. Why didn't I think of that then?? Selfish and young, I guess...)

Back to the "fun" mail. I remember getting letters from friends, acceptance letters to college, scholarship notification and financial aid information, and cards. People used to send cards for ordinary occasions just to cheer or encourage. Cards didn't cost $3 each then. I think it was more like a quarter. And postage--10 cents for a first class stamp.

My mother wrote to me every day when I was in college just so I'd always get mail. She was a trooper. We didn't have money, but we had love. She knew I was homesick and needed just a little boost each day. Some times it was only a line or two.

I also had several pen pals. Do people even have pen pals now? Doubtful that it's very common what with email, texting, cell phones, Skype, etc. No, I guess pen pals are passe too.

There were thin tissue airmail letters from the war in Viet Nam. Several of my friends there would write and the letters would be stained with mud and sweat (literally) from the fighting in jungles in a country I had no knowledge of. It was dangerous, painful, and mysterious. I remember the daily death count on the news and hoping that my friends would never be among them. The ones I wrote to came home, but often with drug problems and psychological effects that haunt them even today.

We used to get tax refunds--small, golden brown envelopes with a blue speckled check peeping out from the window. Ahhh! Rick got other checks in the mail too when his family settled his dad's estate. Those were wonderful but never to return. (My family is still poor with no inheritance, sorry!) I can spot a check from miles away.

When I was young you could still get cash in the mail. A dollar or a five would fall out of Grandma's birthday card. Loved it! Can't do that any more either. Never send cash in the mail!

The best I've had lately is when Fry's food stores sent me free Cardinals tickets as the winner of a contest I didn't even know about. Just for being a Fry's customer. That was a treat I won't soon forget.

So where was this post going? Oh, yes, mail. It used to be interesting, inexpensive, and enjoyable. It's not that any more. In AZ you can get alarming and unexpected traffic tickets in the mail announcing that you were caught speeding, proving it with a grainy, black and white photo capturing your unaware stare while you sped past that damn camera. Or there might be a similar citation for a red-light violation when you tried to sneak through the caution.  No, no, Arizona drivers. Don't think you can escape the law here. They know your address and they send you the exorbitant ticket for any where from $181-214. Pay up, by mail, thank you or you'll receive summonses in the mail too.

Then rarely (thank you, God) there's the IRS letter. We were audited two years ago. I thought I would dissolve into a puddle of goo. It turned out all right that time. (We actually got money back.) But it was a traumatic ordeal and I NEVER want to repeat that. Please no mail from the IRS. Please!

When we first got cell phones, our provider often sent us horrendous bills with overages because we talked too many minutes. Hundreds of dollars for two people who really were clueless about calling plans. I think we've ironed out that disaster, for now.

Occasionally, light bills and gas bills can sky rocket in the extreme temperatures (winters in Idaho and summers in Arizona.) I hate those too. I really dread those.

Okay, so this is going nowhere fast, isn't it? My point was that I miss the magic of fun mail that used to find it's way to my mail box when I was young, unfettered, and more carefree. Days like those are not coming back. The best I can hope for now is a package delivered from UPS or sometimes that key the mailman leaves in your box telling you there's a package held captive in the big box of the mail maze. That's the best I can hope for now. And 99.9 percent of the time, I've ordered those packages and paid for them with a credit card, so they're not really magic at all. I miss fun mail.

10 comments:

life in red shoes said...

I grew up with bill collectors banging on the door and no phone too! Great fun.
And I think bloggers are the new penpals, don't you?

The Cook Clan said...

I too miss fun mail! It is fun to get mail on your bday especially.

Liz said...

I still love getting the mail. It's a little joy I have every afternoon. Cards, bills, whatever - junk mail isn't so fun, but I still like going to the box and taking out our little treasures.
My aunt and I used to exchange postcards all the time, the wackier the better. I loved that. We should bring it back!

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

I used to have pen pals all over the world. It was so much fun to receive letters from them with little gifts.

It's funny, my boys are 7 and 13, but they love to receive actual mail. My mom sends them letters here and there to make them happy (she lives 20 minutes away).

Jules AF said...

I had lost all hope in humanity. It's nice to know people are still nice.

Mimi said...

Hi JO!!!!
Oh how I LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog, your story was the conversation to church last Sunday!!! I laughed all the way there, my hubby and daughter just stared at me like I was a loon!!!! But I thought your walk story was soooo funny!!! Then I told the bouncy house story, as we passed a house having a birthday party and I spotted a big bouncy house and thought to myself, how much do those cost if you bought one, to much thinking for my brain and on the way to church, I need brain power saved for the sermon!!!
I would love to get your address, I LOVE Sending out real cards, not E cards!!!! The real deal!!!!
so you can reply via e-mail ot this with your address if you like and I will surprise you one day soon with a real card!!!!
Have a blessed week
hugs,
jamie
I did not grow up wealthy either but do not remember sad stories of debt collectors stopping by, I remember the milk man though!!! My DAD worked so hard and always made sure He paid the bills and we ate good!!!! Fancy clothes and cars--NO WAY!!!But we were a family very much showered with lOVE as yours was and that is what is important!!!!I never went to college, got married at 18 1/2, 9 days after I graduated from high school!!!!To my sweetie, still loving on each other nearly 34 years!!!!

Amy said...

I miss fun mail, too. When i was younger my counsin and I wrote a ton of letter to each other. Then when my ex-husband was away at bootcamp or AIT we sent letter to each other all of the time - you know back when we still loved each other. Now the mail is filled with bills. Nothing fun. Yet I still look forward to getting the mail. I always hope there will be something to make me smile. Sadly, there rarely is. Every now and then I try to send a friend a card for encouragement and always for the birthday.

Katie said...

I love fun mail! My mom used to send me all sorts of postcards and notes when I was in college too. It really made my day.

Queenie Jeannie said...

You totally have to join the Card Club I'm in!! We KNOW the value of Good Mail!! You send out two cards a month (handmade or store bought), one to your partner and then everyone sends the the monthly "lucky one".

Email me for info!!

rae said...

This is a great post. I miss good mail, too!

Blog Archive