Monday, April 5, 2010

Why Do I Worry?

With all of the major disasters in the world, with all the tragic accidents and diseases and deaths in the world, with all the true heartache and sorrow why, please tell me, do I worry so much? It's ridiculous and I realize that in the logic of daylight. I know it's a sin, it's an insult to God, and it's a waste of my divine talents. I know that intellectually, oh yes!

But in the wee hours of the morning, in the lone times in my day, in the shower and making the bed I worry. I worry about everything. I watched "Monk" yesterday. He worries too, but he does it as a plot on a fictional tv show which uses his worry as a comic device. When I worry it's not humorous or money making. It's pointless.

Rick is headed to work today with the possibility that he will have to mechanic instead of delivering golf carts. The man who left when Rick was hired is returning from Hawaii and is getting the job back, I guess. Rick is working at something he doesn't like to do just so we will have income. I love him for that. I hope he doesn't have to mechanic. I hope that he will be able to continue to do the job he loves. He likes delivering golf carts to senior citizens in snowbird land. I try not to worry about this. Rick is the best of men. He loves me when I am such a putz. He loves me when I gripe and snipe and worry. He loves me when I'm bitchy. He deserves some kind of award.

Every day I wake with the intent of being a much better person than the day before. Every day I wither in the face of that challenge. I just can't maintain the intensity after a few hours. I regress right back to the same slightly shlumpy person I was the day before. Why do I do that?

I felt the earthquake that hit in Mexacali, MX, yesterday. The curtain was swaying and water in the swimming pool was sploshing and splashing around in waves. I felt a tremble as I lay on the couch and tried to get over the flu while watching a "Monk" marathon. I'm thankful that the quake wasn't any closer. I don't want to worry about cracks in the house or cracks in our heads. One more thing I don't want to worry about. Please!

5 comments:

life in red shoes said...

Jo, I used to do the same thing, worry, fret, ring my hands...
It's called anxiety, free floating anxiety. I talked to my doc, started taking meds, and now I can deal with life.
No it's not always happy dappy do, but at least now I can function.
I don't know how you feel about meds, but the Lord put them here for a reason. We live in uncertain times, and it's better thatn drinking:)

Hang in there, and have faith.

Jules AF said...

I worry too. I have to stop thinking about certain things so I can function.

The Cook Clan said...

Wow, that is scary you felt it! It would scare me too! Too funny, we watched Monk yesterday for the first time. It just happened to be on after conference so we watched it. Get feeling better soon! We too have colds here....no fun, thats for sure.

Liz said...

I have to agree with the comment on drugs. Taken properly, they can really do wonders. My mother-in-law says it best, I think: "You could walk around in pain on a broken leg...but why would you?" Maybe that could help you feel a little less worried. In the meantime, here's a hug. *Hug.* :-)
I love your new blog background, by the way.

Simply Me said...

new follower :)

Blog Archive